State and National Parks in the Gettysburg, PA Area
Outdoor lovers will love all the beautiful parks near Gettysburg. The Gettysburg National Military Park has 6000 acres to explore. But don't stop there! Hike, picnic, fish, swim, go boating, and explore. Here are some of the other parks we recommend. All are less than an hour away from our location on the Gettysburg Battlefield.
- Harper's Ferry National Historical Park, Harper's Ferry, WV
- Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Gardners, PA
- Caledonia State Park in Fayetteville, PA
- Michaux State Forest, Adams County, PA
- Strawberry Hill Nature Preserve, Fairfield, PA
- Kings Gap Environmental Education Center in Carlisle, PA
- Catoctin Mountain State Park in Thurmont, MD
- Cunningham Falls State Park in Thurmont, MD
- Codorus State Park in Hanover, PA
- Mont Alto State Park in Fayetteville, PA
- Gillford Pinchot State Park in Lewisberry, PA
- Gambrill State Park in Frederick, MD
Southern Pennsylvania and Northern Maryland have many beautiful and scenic parks. Once you have thoroughly covered the Gettysburg National Military Park keep exploring everything that our region has to offer. You will find days of exciting family and dog friendly outdoor activities in our area's State and National Parks.
Three Parks You Can't Miss This Summer
1. Harper's Ferry National Historical Park (West Virginia)
Visit Historic Harper's Ferry, WV and step back in time to the 1800's. Learn about Historic Trades by taking a Workshop with the Harper's Ferry Park Association (HFPA), Learn about Archaeological Resources in Harper's Ferry with a presentation by the Cultural Resources Staff, or take a Guided Ranger Tour of Harper's Ferry. The Park is open year round with the exception of Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day. Harper's Ferry is within an hour's drive of Battlefield Bed a Breakfast Inn.
2. Catoctin Mountain National Park (Maryland)
This beautiful park in the Catoctin Mountains has stunning high elevation views and a lots of opportunities for Rock Climbing. You can also Take a Hike, Go Camping, Go Fishing, or take in one of the Park's many Guided Ranger Programs. Catoctin Mountain National Park is open all year with the exception of Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day. This park is a twenty minute drive from Battlefield Bed and Breakfast Inn's location on the Gettysburg Battlefield.
3. Gifford Pinchot State Park (Pennsylvania)
Gifford Pinchot State Park is a short drive from Gettysburg and offers an impressive 340 acre Lake, a swimming beach, boat rentals, and three 24 hour boat launches. Fishing is a popular recreational activity at the Park. Fish you can expect to catch in the Lake are: largemouth bass, hybrid striped bass, muskellunge, catfish, carp, walleye, crappie and sunfish. Other outdoor recreational activities include: 18 miles of hiking trails, biking trails, and disc golfing. Gifford Pinchot State Park is open every day of the year from 8:00 AM until Sunset. Gifford Pinchot State Park is a 45 minute drive from Battlefield Bed and Breakfast Inn.